Monday 16 May 2011

The Average Clause in Property Insurance

"I did not insure my property fully and was penalised by my insurers!"

"I forgot to add some additional items I bought onto my household policy and then my claim payment was reduced"

"What happens if I do not insure the value of my property properly?"

I am sure most of you will have heard at least one of the above statements in your years of dealing with either your house, let property or business insurance. Some of you may have had your own claim payments reduced because of these reasons and are feeling a little hard done by...

So for those of you that dont know what the average clause is, let me explain; the average clause is a condition written into most property insurance contracts which simply means insurers are entitled to reduce claim payments if the risk has not been insured to its full value.

The proper insurance definition is "If an average clause applies to your policy and your property is under-insured, the insurer may –  in the event of a claim – reduce the amount of the settlement in proportion that reflects the under-insurance"

You may feel this is just a typical insurer clause so they can get out of paying money I hear some of you say - however it isn't; put yourself in the insurers position for one moment - I as a customer ask you to insure my house for £50,000, you agree to take on this risk, but you want £100 for doing so (your insurance premium). A few months later, a fire burns down my house and it costs £100,000 to rebuild - I approach you as my insurer and say "where's my £100,000 to re-build my house?".....what would you say....???

The answer would be, "I shall give you £50,000 as that is what you asked me to insure the house for, however, if you had asked me to insure your property for £100,000 I would have asked for £200, and since you have only paid me half the money, I shall pay half your claim"

Obviously, had the property been insured for £75,000, and the appropriate premium paid, then that amount would have been the claim payment.

There are two key lessons to be learned here, nay three;

firstly, ensure you get your sums insured correct, both contents, buildings, stock, or any other property, get valuations done if necessary,. or simply go round each room totalling up the value to give you a rough idea;

secondly, never forget that an insurance contract is just that - its a contract, a legal document - and it should be treated as one; you have seen the policy booklets, they are there for a reason - I am sure you didnt just sign the documents when buying the house itself... why risk it by not reading the fine print of the contract which protects your investment??

and finally, if you dont want to spend time reading the fine print, buy your insurance through a broker - they will give you all the help and advice you need, and provide substantially better value for money when buying insurance.

18 comments:

  1. Your tip is very useful. We are from the Philippines and our gas station sustained damage during a flooding in our province. We have filed a claim. The over a year ago. The adjuster's report just came in. Of our total claim of P250,000 was reduced to P27,000 net of depreciation and 2% deductible. I cannot understand the average clause. Its not written in the insurance policy. I know that we did not undervalue our properties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I can explain some thins. Average Clause implies spreading of risk proportionately. In case of large projects involving multi million investment, a claim like the size of claim of ONGC India due to fire on an oilrig may disturb the financials of Isurers, so there are severl insurer to share the loss in agreed proportions which is called "co-insurers". The point to be noted is that Insured himself is also one of the co-insurers. In fact, a compulsory co-insurer in all cases. I suggest you to read the Policy documet carefully. If it is not written as such, you will still find some thing like this "in the event of a loss, the claim will be limited to sum insured in this policy in respect of that particular item subject to other conditions of the Policy". These other conditions refer to application of depreciation and deductibles or excess claue which is clearly mentioned in the policy as such which states that a certan minimum amount, or a specified %age of loss shall be borne by the Insured himelf. The idea behind this clause is to avoid small claims which are dis-proportionate to claim processing expenses and Surveyor/Adjusters' fee. Your claim may been reduced due to one or more or all of these reasons. As far as your statement that "we not undervalue our properties" I think, you did not consider the empact of inflation which increase the value of your property from the date of Policy to the date of floods.

      Delete
  2. An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you desire to make posting within the link 'Services area', then you first need to get a phone verification procedure. This gets verified through your mobile number and once you are done with it your account gets created.

    phone number verification

    ReplyDelete
  5. These policies are meant to protect property owners from various scenarios and circumstances concerning their home, property or investment.

    Nj title insurance

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whatever you are building, a small house, a big project like roads or an underpass, danger is unavoidable. Thus, seeking assistance from general contractors or a sub contractor requires you to get an insurance coverage to provide protection from any perilous incident. It is crucial to do this as an insurance coverage is as important as safety throughout the whole project whether it is a small or a big undertaking.

    New Jersey contractors insurance

    ReplyDelete
  7. When purchasing a home, you generally purchase different types of insurance coverage in order to give your home and personal property that much-needed protection from various unavoidable circumstances and accidents.

    New jersey title insurance company

    ReplyDelete
  8. Which of the subsequent statements is TRUE with relevancy property insurance?

    A) A profit paid by associate degree insurance underwriter to associate degree insured is named a premium.

    B) A profit is also paid underneath a property insurance notwithstanding the insured is entitled to sue a 3rd party for inflicting the loss or injury in question.

    C) Property insurance is named initial party coverage providing the insurance underwriter oversubscribed the policy to an individual's being, instead of an organization.

    D) Property insurance is out there for property, however not personalty.

    E) Property insurance is named third party coverage if one person buys insurance with relevancy property that's owned by another person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very detailed blog. I like your topic about the average clause in property insurance. Look interesting right? I'm sure to be back here for more update. Keep on sharing! Check our other latest Home Owners Insurance Boca Raton here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We should settle for the best insurance company whom we should trust. A company that will help us get through any problem regarding our home. A company that we can depend on whatever issues that comes.

    I would like to share some information that will help regarding Home Owners Insurance Pompano Beach, click here and know more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When buying vehicle insurance, it's important to make sure your policy meets and exceeds your expectations. Check the all rules and regulation and select SR-22 Illinois company.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really going to help me in the related stuff.. thanks a lot for the information

    Benefits of choosing Auto insurance policy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks you for your nice information. It's really helpfull.
    For more info go Computertechinfobd

    ReplyDelete
  14. Insurance is a very smart and very important thing to have if your a business owner. You never know what can happen and if something bad does happen and you don't have insurance to cover you the costs can be very bad. It's worth getting good insurance to cover your business.
    Credit Insurance Brokers

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its a really very useful and also very informative blog for me. Thanks a lot for sharing the blog and also the useful information's. If you are ready to be insured you just visit us by clicking at

    Medical Insurance Dubai

    Health Insurance Dubai

    Insurance Companies in Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid, Dercum,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back, You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your comments or ask any questions

Page Views