Monday 16 May 2011

The Average Clause

"I did not insure my property fully and was penalised by my insurers!"

"I forgot to add some additional items I bought onto my household policy and then my claim payment was reduced"

"What happens if I do not insure the value of my property properly?"
I am sure most of you will have heard at least one of the above statements in your years of dealing with either your house, let property or business insurance. Some of you may have had your own claim payments reduced because of these reasons and are feeling a little hard done by...

So for those of you that dont know what the average clause is, let me explain; the average clause is a condition written into most property insurance contracts which simply means insurers are entitled to reduce claim payments if the risk has not been insured to its full value.

The proper insurance definition is "If an average clause applies to your policy and your property is under-insured, the insurer may –  in the event of a claim – reduce the amount of the settlement in proportion that reflects the under-insurance"

You may feel this is just a typical insurer clause so they can get out of paying money I hear some of you say - however it isn't; put yourself in the insurers position for one moment - I as a customer ask you to insure my house for £50,000, you agree to take on this risk, but you want £100 for doing so (your insurance premium). A few months later, a fire burns down my house and it costs £100,000 to rebuild - I approach you as my insurer and say "where's my £100,000 to re-build my house?".....what would you say....???

The answer would be, "I shall give you £50,000 as that is what you asked me to insure the house for, however, if you had asked me to insure your property for £100,000 I would have asked for £200, and since you have only paid me half the money, I shall pay half your claim"

Obviously, had the property been insured for £75,000, and the appropriate premium paid, then that amount would have been the claim payment.

There are two key lessons to be learned here, nay three;

firstly, ensure you get your sums insured correct, both contents, buildings, stock, or any other property, get valuations done if necessary,. or simply go round each room totalling up the value to give you a rough idea;

secondly, never forget that an insurance contract is just that - its a contract, a legal document - and it should be treated as one; you have seen the policy booklets, they are there for a reason - I am sure you didnt just sign the documents when buying the house itself... why risk it by not reading the fine print of the contract which protects your investment??

and finally, if you dont want to spend time reading the fine print, buy your insurance through a broker - they will give you all the help and advice you need, and provide substantially better value for money when buying insurance.

15 comments:

  1. Hi... that was great stuff.. I really like reading on this subject Could you tell me more on that... I love to explore

    PPI Claim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the counselling to buy to let insurance for a place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you.


    PPI Claims Company in Cardiff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Average clause is written in practically all the Policies. The language reads some thing like this "in the event of a loss, the liability of the insurers shall be limited to the sum insured under this policy in respect of that partiuclat item affected by the causality or accident". The idea is to share the loss of the full value of the property by all concerned. In case of multi-million projects, this is also done through co-insurance, where several insurers agree to share the loss in the agreed proportion. Nevertheless, Insured is a compulsory and necessary co-insurers in all kinds of Policies. The under insrance may also arise due to effect of inflation from the date of Polic to the date of loss or accident. I hope this clarifies your doubts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a little something from their store. I’d prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

    My page : UFC Game

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before initiate a beginning about the very topic let us first glance to some questions which make it more understandable and thereafter can be used at a much more easier way.

    phone number verification

    ReplyDelete
  7. Property insurance provides protection against most risks to property, such as fire, theft and some weather damage. This includes specialized forms of insurance such as fire insurance, flood insurance, earthquake insurance, home insurance, or boiler insurance. Property is insured in two main ways—open perils and named perils. Open perils cover all the causes of loss not specifically excluded in the policy. Property Insurance Industry Analysis

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I could interject an opinion in here, I would have to admit I have changed my mind about this topic. This is due to your persuasive words and sound commentary. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whilst it can be quite a soothing time at Yuletide, some high net worth insurance providers routinely up their customers' home contents insurance by 25% at Christmas. Even so here at Dovetail Insurance, that you are secure... Home Insurance and Christmas Time

    ReplyDelete
  10. Investor Leads, You Can Buy Various High Quality Investor Leads Products from Global Investor Leads Suppliers and Investor Leads Manufacturers at bespokeleads.com
    investor leads

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, i cannot seem to find the owner of the blog, i own a company that has been mentioned and has a backlink to my site, it has come from sandeppatel01, could the owner remove this asap as it is affecting my google ranking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice Posting. Thanks for sharing such a nice post. I really appreciate your knowledge and experience.


    Home Insurance Davie Florida

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good article. Thanks for the information about business insurance in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great ! Now I have realized the importance of having business insurance and in what way this insurance policy helps out a business. As the owner of a company I will definitely purchase a policy soon to have necessary amount of protection.
    Temecula business insurance

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid, Dercum,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back, You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your comments or ask any questions

Page Views